Items in Scorpion are the questions examinees will be asked. Scorpion makes it easy to develop and deliver exams for any difficulty. Scorpion items can be made in the following ways:
- Multiple Choice (all options are displayed, with only one or more correct options)
- True / False (one of two options are correct)
- Discrete Option Multiple Choice (only one option is shown at a time)
- Matching (concepts in a list are matched with a second set of concepts, either selecting each concept only once or multiple times)
- Build List (concepts need to be placed in the correct order)
- Short Answer (complete the sentence, fill in the blank, descriptions, etc.)
- HotSpot (a picture is presented and the examinee clicks on the picture to answer the question)
- Essay (multi-paragraph response)
- Likert (for survey purposes – not a scoring enabled item type)
- Scale (for survey purposes – not a scoring enabled item type)
- External (to connect with outside systems and enable items not natively supported in Scorpion)
- Smart / Generator [Premium Feature] (uses GUI interface to create dynamic items of applicable question types)
- Fill In the Blanks (uses a drop down menus or a text field in a sentence to fill in the blank)
If you want to find out more about these item types, click on the name of the item.
Scorpion enables you to organize exam items by setting development phases. For example you could have rough draft phase, edit one, edit two, and ready for deployment. While your exam is in development, you can have other review the items and give you feedback. See the article "How to make a review in Scorpion." You may also skip the phases and make a item ready for your exam.
Status in Scorpion help you to keep track of what is happening with the item's development. Common examples of statuses in Scorpion are In Development, Ready, or Retired. See the article "How to set up Statuses in Scorpion."
Objectives in Scorpion help you to organize your items. If you were developing an exam for a English class, you could have grammar, essay and literature objectives. You can then create forms (exams) with one or all of the objectives. See the article "How to create Objectives."
NOTE: Remember to click the save button at the top left-hand corner of the screen whenever you make changes to the item.
How to Create an Item
1- Go to https://scorpion.caveon.com/
2- Log in to your Scorpion account using your Caveon ID.
3- Select the project from your projects list.
4- Click on the item that you would like to add a reference to – or – click Add Item in the section where you would like to add a new item.
5- Here you can make the item.
In the heading you can do the following:
- Name your item (this is optional and scorpion will create a name for your if you do not wish to name the item)
- Change the item type
- Set the phase of the item (this is optional)
- Set the status of the item (this is optional)
- Assign the item a objective (this is optional)
Use the drop-down menus on the side of the screen to set the type, phase, status, and objective of the item.
Note: You can change the item type at any time in the development process. The available item fields will change to match your selected type. Only Premium accounts have access to the full range of item types.
Edit Item Tab
This is where you create the item as it appears to the examinee. This will appear different for every item type but here are some general principals:
- The stem is where a question is asked. You may also embed an image here as well.
- You need to choose if you want the examinee to see shared content (Shared content is reference material for the examinee). Check the box to allow the examinee access to the shared content. For more help with shared content, please see How to Add Shared Content to Items
- You need to choose if you want the examinee to see widgets (are windows that link to urls for the examinee to see). Check the box to allow the examinee access to the widget. For more on widgets, see How to Add Widgets to Individual Items
- If you want to add feedback for the item please see Item Feedback in Scorpion.
- For items with multiple answers are presented to the examinee, you need to mark which answer(s) are correct.
The settings section allows you to adjust the following:
- The number of points the item is worth on the exam.
- Scoring Method (use the drop down arrow to choose an option)
- Option Order (use the drop down arrow to choose an option)
- Correct Options to Present
- Incorrect Options to Present
- Selection Limit
You can add references here:
Article is closed for comments.