To access an exam, the testing candidate must obtain a valid launch token. This is a long series of letters and numbers that tells Scorpion:
- Who the test taker is
- What exam they are taking
- Whether the delivery will be in secure or practice mode
This page will provide you with information about launch tokens as they relate to:
- Secure vs. practice test deliveries
- One time use
- Allowing access to exams
- Securely creating and distributing launch tokens
- Error Messages and Troubleshooting
Secure vs. Practice Test Delivery
- When creating a delivery in the Scorpion console, the exam may be set to practice or secure mode.
- When the launch token is in practice mode, many of Scorpion's security features are disabled, including the one-time use of a launch token.
- When the launch token is in secure mode, each token can be used only one time.
The Scorpion Launch Token Allows Access to an Exam
The Scorpion system:
- Reads the provided launch token
- Retrieves information related to it stored within Scorpion.
- Lets Scorpion identify the test delivery which contains information regarding the test taker, the exam, time limit and other data.
One Time Use
- For secure deliveries, when a launch token is used by visiting Scorpion’s exam delivery page, the token is marked as being used for a test that has been started.
- At that point, if anyone else attempts to access the exam using the same token they will be given an invalid token message.
- If the user who started the exam for some reason needs to refresh their browser, their token will be checked against their computer fingerprint and the exam will resume if there is a match.
- If a secure mode exam has been interrupted, the proctor will need to restart the exam.
- Access tokens are only obtained by authenticating with a CaveonID and visiting Scorpion.
- Test administrators then create a delivery for the test taker and provide a URL to use for taking the exam.
- Then, it is the responsibility of the administrator and examinee to utilize the token securely.
Caveon recommends that you enable all security features of CaveonID.
Error Messages and Troubleshooting
A launch token may be invalid for a number of reasons. When an error is encountered related to a launch token, the exam interface will report that error. The following are the possible token error messages you may receive.
- Your link is missing a required token.
The URL used to launch the exam is missing a launch token attribute or value.
- Your link contains an invalid token.
There is a token provided, but it is invalid and not associated with any deliveries.
- This delivery has been deleted.
When the exam administrator has removed the delivery. The token will no longer launch any exams. A new token is required.
- Oops, this link has already been used! Please ask your proctor to provide a fresh link.
The token has been used by a different test taker. A new token is required.
- This delivery has been completed.
The token has been used and the associated delivery is finished.
Article is closed for comments.